[meteorite-list] Neuschwanstein meteorite, Pribram, CRE ages and streams (re)

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:12 2004

Mark Fox wrote:
> Greetings Mr. Marco Langbroek!
>
> Although you are no doubt more knowledgeable than I
> am,

Hi Mark. Probably not. I am just an informed amateur.

> wouldn't it be conceivable that if Pribram and
> Neuschwanstein do belong to a meteoroid stream, that
> the dynamics and formation of it would be quite
> different than from what we are used to?

Well basically, a stream should not last 19 Million years according to
current dynamic modelling, and certainly not with such tight orbital matches
of the meteoroids (Pribram and Neuschwanstein) in question. So either this
assumption is wrong; or the two objects do not belong to one stream in
reality; or CRE ages are not a good measure of the age of a meteorite's
history as a small meteorite precursor sized object. The 19 +- 2 Ma for
Pribram established by Kees Welten according to him is the exposure age
during which the meteoroid had a radius of some 1 meter, i.e. was of stream
particle size rather than parent body size. This really indicates that the
stream to which Pribram and Neuschwanstein belong then should be some 19
million years old and after that time still a tight stream, which would be
amazing and, I guess, not quite acceptible to many scientists (which I am
not) working on orbital dynamics.

Personally, I should think that perhaps the notion of what CRE ages mean is
somewhere mistaken; if Pribram and the new meteorite indeed belong to one
stream. I am really looking forward to hearing the details of both the
classification as well as CRE age determinations of the new meteorite.

Marco

---
Marco Langbroek                    private: marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl
Leiden University                     work: m.langbroek_at_arch.leidenuniv.nl
Faculty of Archaeology
P.O. Box 9515
http://home.wanadoo.nl/marco.langbroek/
NL-2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands
"What seest thou else
  In the dark backward and abysm of time?"
William Shakespeare: The Tempest act I scene 2
---