[meteorite-list] Asteroid 2002 NT7: Potential Earth Impact In 2019 Ruled Out

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:11 2004

Asteroid 2002 NT7: Potential Earth Impact In 2019 Ruled Out
Don Yeomans
July 28, 2002

With the processing of a few more observations through July 28, we can now
rule out any Earth impact possibilities for February 1, 2019. While we
cannot yet completely rule out an impact possibility on February 1, 2060, it
seems very likely that this possibility will be soon ruled out as well as
additional positional observations are processed. Because the SENTRY system
tracks a multitude of test particles in an effort to map the uncertainties
of the asteroid's future positions, some of these test particles can take
slightly different dynamical paths. Hence there are currently two entries
for 2060 in our IMPACT RISK table. The entry with the higher risk (larger
Palermo Technical Scale) would be the value that would then take precedence.