[meteorite-list] xenophobia

From: rochette <rochette_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:10 2004

Dear US (and native english speaker) list members

interesting this debate about seemingly offensive quote to Matteo. Nothing
to do with racism, but I would say implicit xenophobia. Would you enjoy if
I write an e-mail to one of you "Hey cow-boy or gringo" instead of "Dear Mr
X". I think the whole trouble in misunderstanding with foreign members, is
that a lot of posted mail are written in oral "bar" language, often loaded
with jokes completely obscure, even for englishmen I guess. I know some
people have difficulties to communicate without slang, jokes and
overstatements, but they should not complain if this generates feeling of
agression, even unintentionally. Codified language has always been a
efficient way to keep foreigners out of ones business and let them know
they are not members of the clan. So I support Rhett request to keep
language to a correct AND understandable level, remembering that non
english speaking people are on the list, and also that people who have
little time get fed up with unecessary multiple or non informative post.
Internet is a great media for communication thanks to a common language
like java, html, etc., so please some of you try to use "academic" english
(if you are able to...) and have mercy for others hard disk space! I am
just joking of course.

Pierre