[meteorite-list] LA 002 - Whatz all the fuss?

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:09 2004

Didn't catch the LA 002 thread until late. Tonight
was spent in preparation for our presentation at UCLA
for tomorrow morning's Session of the 65th Annual
Meeting of the Meteoritical Society. Nick Gessler,
(along with Rob Matson and myself) will be presenting
what signifies as being our combined, past 3 years of
meteorite recovery efforts in the Southwestern U.S.

So, obviously I have no intention of entering into a
lengthy discussion about LA 002, right now.

But in regards to Michael Bloods post about the
preservation of LA 002 - YES, I did publicly express
my desires to not have LA 002 cut (for ESTHETIC
reasons), but this is an evolving issue, and for
anyone who progresses within their study of
meteorites, there comes a time "when a corner is
turned" and comes the realization that meteorites
exist in order to be cut! That meteorites made the
long journey to our planet for the explicit purpose
that they be cut, not only so that they can be
analyzed, but in order that their interior beauty can
be exposed.

YES, I know. I have taken some List members to task
for the their "devout" attitudes towards "never"
cutting their favorite meteorite "never for ANY
reason", especially when that attitude is taken to the
point of alienating researchers and risking our
tenuous relationship with them. Having taken that
position, how then can I take the attitude that LA 002
should never again undergo the blade?

No longer do I presume to withhold from researchers
and the science of meteoritics THAT which would
advance our understanding of Mars, our own planet, and
the Solar System. Certainly, not for the reason that
"it's too beautiful". Certainly, not in this age of
advancing technology, now that we can core and extract
samples sufficiently large enough for analysis, yet
small enough that a meteorites form is not
compromised. (Besides, I've seen the museum's exact
replica of LA 002. It is a PERFECT replica! Now,
THAT is a real work of art that needs preservation.
In addition, I have the mold from which more replicas
can be made.;-)

But if you don't agree with my philosophy about
cutting meteorites, and if you are such a
preservationist that you feel obliged to rescue LA 002
(for sure, the Museum had their chance but they passed
in favor of much needed renovations), then feel free
to make me an offer. There is no barrier or
restriction that would prevent you from doing just
that - make me an offer for LA 002. I will
respectfully consider all legitimate offers. But
before I accept any offer, I will make good on my
promise to Michael Casper, that "in consideration of
his keeping of his word and of the faithful execution
of all the many aspects involved in the sale of LA
001", that I would extend to him the opportunity to,
either, make the "last" (or final) offer in the sale
of LA 002, or, to pass on that opportunity.

No big, complex mystery - just a simple explanation.

Bob V.