[meteorite-list] Dust in Earth's Attic

From: Robert & Wendi Beauford <wendirob_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:09 2004

I've often wondered... since the moon has virtually no atmosphere to slow
down impactors, wouldn't a far higher percentage of material be converted to
energy and unidentifiable components upon impact with the moon?
Or could the dynamics of the ejection and capture process result in fairly
slow entry speeds for items from earth reaching the moon?
By the same token, and for the same reason, no atmosphere, I guess anything
that hit, even 3 billion years ago, should be pretty much intact unless
destroyed by subsequent impacts.
-Robert Beauford : )