[meteorite-list] Meteorite Books

From: Robert & Wendi Beauford <wendirob_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:08 2004

The best meteorite book that I have read, other than Norton, of coarse, is
Planetary Materials, Reviews in Mineralogy vol 36.

The book that I would like most to read on the subject is also Planetary
Materials, Reviews in Mineralogy vol 36.

Why you might ask, are these two the same?
Because I didn't understand a lot of it the first two times. There is a
wealth of knowledge in this book.

The book I would most like to see Richard Norton would have to be something
to the effect of 'Understanding the science behind meteorite composition,
analysis, and classification.' That is to say, something that would bridge
the geological, geochemical, and related background knowledge gaps between
the great books that McSween and Norton have written and the more technical
publications such as Planetary Materials or the abstracts from LPSC
conferences.

Several times I have thought of starting a little secondary list with the
purpose of taking a section from the book or an abstract or other article
and breaking it down at the tedious level of the underlying science and
concepts and vocabulary until everyone actually understood not only the
words but the concepts behind them and expressed by them... even if it had
to be done one sentence at a time.
That's not the sort of thing most people are interested in, but it
fascinates me.
-Robert Beauford : )