[meteorite-list] Dalgaranga Mesosiderite

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:07 2004

Rob wrote:

> Australian mesosiderite individual named Dalgaranga, and was
> reliably informed by the curator that "this is the only metallic
> specimen of Dalgaranga in existence", with all the remaining 10 kg
> being shale and completely oxidised mesosiderite. If that's the case,
> I'm well pleased to be the present owner, but does anyone know if
> that's so, or of any other metallic Dalgaranga specimens out there?

Hello Rob and List,

It's fairly consistent with what the Catalogue says. One specimen of
40 g was preserved in the Simpson collection. During a search in 1960,
not in but around the crater, 207 fragments were recovered, total
weight 1.1 kg. The largest weighed 57g and about half of the 1.1 kg
were oxidised irons and half mesosiderite. Within the crater 280
fragments, totalling about 20 lb were collected, all of which proved
to be highly oxidised mesosiderites.

So your specimen may be the one wrighing 40
grams or the other one weighing 57 grams.

> I've linked through to some pictures below
> that I thought you might like to see.

Congratulations! Beautiful, rare specimen!

Cheers,

Bernd