[meteorite-list] Meteorite Question

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:06 2004

Hello all again,
For those of you who have the new Encyclopedia of Meteorites by Richard
Norton and look in the appendix he has a list of the various different
classifications that was taken from a paper by Dr. Rubin at UCLA. One of
those that you don't often see is HH which is based on inclusions in the
Netschaevo iron. Whether this classification is correct or not is still up
in the air but one of the meteorites that seems to back this idea up a bit
is Burnwell. Almost all of its values are outside of what you would expect
for an H chondrite and look as if there are further extensions of the LL-L-H
values with Burnwell being the next step. I'll be the first to admit that
it could just mean that Burnwell is an extension of the H chondrites that
we've yet to sample but it could quite easily be the first meteorite of a
new class. The only problem is that Burnwell is the only known meteorite
with such extreme values and until we have more meteorites with similiar
values it will be next to impossible to say for sure. Whichever way it
falls (anomolous H chondrite or HH chondrite) I still think its probably the
coolest meteorite I've ever seen and definitely the best in my collection.
Best wishes to all,
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com
www.asteroidmodels.com/personal