[meteorite-list] Meteorite Question

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:06 2004

Hi Bernd,
I hope this email finds you well. I was doing a bit of reading tonight and
have a question for you about a graph you've sent me.
Back when there were discussions of fayalite values of ordinary chondrites
on the Meteorite Central list you sent a graph that I put up on my website
(www.asteroidmodels.com/fayalite.htm) showing those values. On the lower
end of the H chondrite values there is a very small bar on 15%. I was
wondering if you could possibly tell me how many meteorites are represented
by that bar and if there aren't too many which ones are they? I was reading
an article about Burnwell and Dr. McCoy at the Smithsonian was talking about
that meteorite having a Fa content of 15.8 +/- .2% and stated that the
average Fa composition of H chondrites is only between 16.9-20.4%.
Obviously there will be some meteorites within that class that are slightly
above or below average so I was wondering about the ones that are a bit
lower than that and any possible relationships they may have to Burnwell.
Any answers for my questions would be greatly appreciated. I hope you don't
mind but I included the Meteorite Central mailing list in this email because
I thought that some other people may enjoy reading about this as well. I
know I love reading about this kind of thing when other list members have
this type of conversation.
Thank you,
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com