[meteorite-list] Meteorite - Right or Wrong quiz - results are in

From: Tim Heitz <midwestmeteor_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:06 2004

Hello Fellow Collectors and list Members,

A total of 23 votes were collected for the right or wrong quiz.
http://www.meteorman.org/wrong_or_right.htm

4 --- got it correct - 3 of the 4 said the top picture was a Nantan - the other 1
said the top picture was a meteorite.

2 ---said both real meteorites.

2 ---said neither were real meteorites.

1 ---had taken a look at these last February, he had way too much memory left, he
remembered which one was real and which one was not real, so he didn't count.

1 ---one person knew the bottom picture was a profit stone and also knew the top
picture was a Nantan this was Hanno Strufe - from Germany - He was the only one
who got both top and bottom correct.-- www.strufe.net -- IMCA #4267

4.5% --- of people got it correct out of 22 people who voted

Here are a few of the answers, it was fun and interesting.
If you need to have another look at the pictures :
http://www.meteorman.org/wrong_or_right.htm
They both look nearly identical! I'd guess the bottom one is real. It just
has more regmaglypting.
Neither one is real?
I'll guess the bottom one is a real meteorite. Maybe a 1947 SA?
The top specimen looks too "roundish". Hematite ore or something like it?
Hey...50/50 chance.
My guess is they both look real. The one on the top looks like a rusty Nantan. The
bottom looks like Sikhote
I would say that neither are meteorites.....but, I've just returned from having a
few Friday night beers and the odds are stacked against me ;-)
My Guess? They're both Sikhote Alin. I've seen many specimens, even a few
that look like hematite at first glance. Very rare but not unheard of. Will
even go out on limb and say the top specimen is the more valuable of the two
because of the hole. (NOTE : I NEVER DID SEE A HOLE IN THAT ONE) - I think this
person
may have had a few Friday night beers too. I love it - thanks - best to you too.
It's beginning to feel like a trick question, but I'll vote for the
lower one being the meteorite....
Top one looks like a shale ball to me. I vote for the top.
The top looks a bit like Nantan and the bottom has some
characteristics of Sikhote-Alin, but somethings just not right about
the bottom image. I'll go with the top.
Nantan on top, Hematite on bottom? You showed them to me in February now I have
to see if I have any memory left... :-)
Bottom is real - many of these

Its been fun, I'm working on doing another one very soon. Please let me know if
you liked it.

Tim Heitz