[meteorite-list] nwa869

From: Walter Branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:05 2004

Hi Al, John and List,

Al alluded to something which I would like to expand on and which I think
may be a source for at least some of the problems associated with multiple
pairings and classifications.

Let's take a certain strewn field, a geographical location where meteorites
have been found and continue to be found (okay, I admit - I am thinking of
NWA). Multiple individuals are finding meteorites. Finder A may find x
number of stones, then Finder B etc. and they are being sold to dealers J, K
and L. Any given number of resellers get involved. Eventually the
individual collector ends up with a given individual, slice, or fragment.
All along this path, a given stone has had the opportunity to be typed and
assigned a "real" number or name by the NomCom committee or given a
"temporary" number by someone, then perhaps classed by researchers, perhaps
with a number or name change.

To be honest, I am surprised that more confusion does not exist with regard
to pairings and perhaps it is a testament that there are not many such
instances that the system "works." Perhaps.

-Walter

Walter Branch, Ph.D.
Branch Meteorites
322 Stephenson Ave., Suite B