[meteorite-list] An informal Aussie meteorite name!

From: Jeff Kuyken <jeff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:05 2004

G'day List,

Just in case you may not have seen this, I thought I would post this little
description of an Australian meteorite printed in the The Meteoritical
Bulletin, No. 82, 1998 July. Only an Aussie could come up with an informal
name like the one below! ;-)

Mundrabilla 020
30º50'S 127º30'E (±15')

  a.. Western Australia, Australia
  b.. Found 1989
  c.. Howardite
A stone of ~60 g was found by a rabbit hunter in the same area where the
large masses of the Mundrabilla iron were found, perhaps 15 km north of the
railway. This stone is also informally known as "G'Day". Description:
contains carbonaceous chondrite (CC) clasts (Zolensky et al., 1996); on the
basis of the abundance of CC clasts, this meteorite is probably not paired
with Mundrabilla 018 (D. Kring, pers. comm.) and is possibly paired with Old
Homestead 001 (F. Wlotzka, pers. comm.). Specimens: 30 g, Haag.

Catchya later mate,

Jeff Kuyken
I.M.C.A. #3085
www.meteoritesaustralia.com