[meteorite-list] A POSSIBLE meteorite fall in Ukraine?

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:05 2004

This is from a recent post to the "Meteorobs" Web
site:

------------------------------------
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 15:44:14 +0400
From: "Andrei Ol'khovatov" <olkhov_at_mail.ru>
Subject: (meteorobs) A meteorite fall in Ukraine?

Dear All,

There is some chances that there could be a meteorite
fall in Ukraine on July 4.
Initially reports, including mass-media were that a
pilot of Israel airlines [EL AL] flight from Tel Aviv
to Moscow flying over Ukraine saw a possible missile
launch.
Yesterday evening explanations appeared (and I made
some input in them e-mailing to various authorities)
that it could has been a natural event, and a
meteoroidal bolide is one of possible natural
explanations.
Today Ukranean authorities informed this, as a
"possible meteorite", but investigation still
continues.
Unfortunately, info about the event is very sparse-
(even a couple in total of witness's account are
distorted second-handed), despite my attempts to
obtain it. The time seems to be about 19.35 GMT July
4, 2002,
coordinates (roughly) - somewhere 48 N 36 E
I am trying to get more info on the event, and post
updates.

Best wishes,
Andrei

The archive and Web site for the "Meteorobs" list is
at http://www.meteorobs.org