[meteorite-list] Somewhat interesting and quirky beginner meteor-wrong story!

From: Jeff K. <jjkmlz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:54 2004

Here's a "somewhat" interesting story of my own little
meteor-wrong! A few months back I heard something
quite small and hard hit my house roof, which is tin
so it was pretty obvious. I suspected it may have been
a cherry-pip that a bird had dropped from a nearby
orchard.

Turns out that's exactly what it was!!! Only, when I
was up there getting my extraordinarily rare meteorite
in the new classification, 'cherrypipite'; I actually
found around 5-10 very small, dark brown-black stones.
This intrigued me as they didn't seem to fit into the
surounding geology. Although I was 99% sure they were
not of meteoritic origin, I decided to email an
expert. He thought as I did; that a bird had also
probably dropped them onto the roof!!!

They were some form of everyday common 'Buckshot
gravel'. (Largely composed of iron oxides. Typically
the mineral maghemite is present making them strongly
magnetic.) When I went and had a closer look at the
surrounding ground, I was able to find some of this
material. But it probably only make up around 0.1% (if
that) of the surface stones. So how is it that these
less common stones were the only type on the roof???

WELL! My Theory! Some birds actually swallow small
stones to aid in their digestion. All these Buckshot
gravel stones (both roof and on the ground) are a
similar small size, quite rounded with no sharp edges
and their very dark colour stands out against the
other pale clay-based rocks. I believe these birds
have learnt to go for these tasty little buckshots!!!

Has anyone else ever heard of this or know anything
about it?

Hope this has provided a bit of light refreshment from
some of the current postings and if anyone else has a
funny or quirky story about meteorite related stuff,
I'm sure quite a few on the list wouldn't mind hearing
it! After all; that's what it's all about!

Have fun,

Jeff K.

http://my.yahoo.com.au - My Yahoo!
- It's My Yahoo! Get your own!