[meteorite-list] NEW E3 Meteorite.

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:51 2004

<P>A year ago as I was cutting material at random to sell on ebay I noticed one with killer chrondrules and figured that it was a particularly nice LL3. I made thin sections and posted photos to the list where they got responces including from our very own berand. The photos were printed in voyage magazine also. go back a couple issues to see them. they are stunning. I sold the one that is in voyage to a list member for a hundred dollars and some others went for as low as eighty dollars. They were so nice that I never sold many because I couldent get a hundred dollars for such a beautiful thin section. Luckily I never sold samples. </P>
<P>The stone was 210 grams but 40 or 50 grams just broke away and fell apart so there is only 150 or so grams of usably material. I also sent the russian academy of sciences a large chunk as I wanted to give them some better stuff to go with the pile of common stuff that I sent to get classified. I&nbsp;basically&nbsp;have an impossibly time getting stuff classified so I wanted to ensure that this single avenue that I have to get meteorites classified stays open to me so I sent&nbsp;more of the better meteorites and good samples.</P>
<P>I hope that I&nbsp;still have 75 grams left that I can sell. I will check later tomorrow. So there is not much but on the positive side for collectors I dont have many close ties with institutions (likely because i dont live near any major meteorite research facilities and because many researchers dont&nbsp;like my efforts at selling hundreds of kilos of undocumented desert meteorites cheap) so this will be mostly (or all) sold to collectors. In addition this is possibly the nicest E chondrite in existance. It is just stunning. I have never seen one even close to being this nice. It puts LL3s like beega to shame. I dont know yet if it is an EL3 or EH3. Either way it is a very important new meteorite. I will post photos over the next few days but see the voyage magazine article a few issues back if you cant wait. The name is NWA305 which is now a provisional name but it should become official once the classification is complete.</P>
<P>Cheers</P>
<P>DEAN&nbsp;</P></DIV>