[meteorite-list] Georgiaites

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:51 2004

Greetings fellow list members,
        I have been contacted by a fellow in Georgia who is a major, big
time Georigiaite finder. He asked me to sell some of his finds, and
man, are they ever neet! (I told him I would not sell any broken or
chipped ones {which are the majority in existence, since they have =

almost exclusively been found in fields after having been turned up =

by a plow} and he did not disappoint me. =

        If you collect tektites, you know how very, very rare this material
is. =

        I thought y=92all might enjoy seeing these cuties. If any of you are
interested in getting one or more, contact me off list for full info. (I
have been having intermittant email problems, so, if you don=92t hear
back from me within, say, 12 hrs, please phone me at: 619 286-4837)
        Thanks, Michael =

4.032g
        Found June 29, 2001 at 3:58 PM in =93S & M=92s Field=94 in Dodge County,=

GA - includes original hand written field notes of finder. Chips:
minimal or =

non existent.
        This little guy is a beaut! Even by reflected light, it shows nearly
50%
transparency - VERY unusual for a Georgiaite. It has the advantage of =

displaying classical characteristics of its type in color, form and
texture.
         =

By Reflected light:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos207/3/91/74/46/55/0/55467491303_0_ALB.jpg

By Transmitted light:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos207/3/91/74/46/45/0/45467491303_0_ALB.jpg
                         =

6.447g
        Found in Dodge County, GA. Chips: minimal or non existent. =

        This is the ONLY tear drop shaped Georgiaite I have ever seen. It has
the shape of an elongated Hershey=92s Kiss. It is a sweet one. Also
excellent =

specimen and classic in color and transparency.
        =

By Reflected light:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos205/3/2/8/44/90/0/90440802303_0_ALB.jpg

By Transmitted light:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos205/3/2/8/44/11/0/11440802303_0_ALB.jpg
                                =

10.57g
        Found in Dodge County, GA. Chips: minimal or non existent.
        I liken this one to a cave man club - not tapered on the thin end to
make a classic tear drop. It is particularly charming in being
completely =

opaque by reflected light and superbly translucent by transmitted light. =

In addition, this specimen exhibits a =93twisted=94 formation process,
particularly noticeable in transmitted light. (see photos below)
        =

By Reflected light:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos205/3/2/8/44/50/0/50440802303_0_ALB.jpg

By Transmitted light:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos205/3/2/8/44/30/0/30440802303_0_ALB.jpg
                        =

11.37g
        Found April 3, 1997, Dodge County, GA. Hand written Field Notes
included. Chips: minimal or non existent. =93Healed,=94 ancient =93broken=
=94
edge. =

        This is a magnificent heart shaped specimen with exceptional =

translucency and overall visual appeal. =

        =

By Reflected light:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos205/3/2/8/44/60/0/60440802303_0_ALB.jpg

By Transmitted light:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos205/3/2/8/44/70/0/70440802303_0_ALB.jpg

Healed ancient =93broken=94 edge:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos205/3/2/59/91/31/0/31915902303_0_ALB.jpg

                                =

15.29g
        Found in Dodge County, GA. Chips: minimal - 2, very small on top of =

=93healed,=94 ancient =93broken=94 edge. =

        Spectacular specimen. Georgiaites this huge are very, very rare. This =

one has exceptional scoriation and the form is a pleasing =93shield=94
appearance. =

This one also exhibits truly exceptional translucency by transmitted
light.

By Reflected light:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos207/3/91/74/46/15/0/15467491303_0_ALB.jpg

By Transmitted light: