[meteorite-list] My take on Nakhla

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:51 2004

Hi Ron and List,

Regarding the Nakhla re-wording:

"A rain of 40 stones fell from the sky in 1911 near Nakhla in Egypt. The
falls
were preceded by an appearance of a cloud and detonations, frightening local
residents. There is an eyewitness account that one of the fragments hit a
dog. Attempts to authenticate the dog story have been inconclusive thus
far."

Given what I've read of the debate over the years, and the lack of
living witnesses, I cannot imagine a scenario under which that last
statement will ever change. Of course, that doesn't rule out the
possibility that some new information may surface months or years
down the road; it's just that I can't see how any such new data
would enhance the currently dubious authenticity. As with the
argument for life on Mars, extraordinary claims require accordingly
extraordinary evidence.

I think it would be more accurate to say, "Unfortunately, the story
cannot be authenticated as there were no corroborating witnesses, nor
compelling physical evidence."

The term "eyewitness account" also carries special legal meaning today --
with requirements that were obviously not met at the time. While Ron
probably did not intend this particular legal connotation, but rather
the "spirit" of the phrase (i.e. a man told someone else that he saw
a meteorite hit a dog), "eyewitness account" is a somewhat misleading
substitute for "hearsay".

Perhaps the most useful (and rewarding) thing that could be done at
this point would be to go to Denshal (I didn't say it would be cheap!)
and find a Nakhla meteorite there. It wouldn't add much in the way
of proof as far as the dog story goes, but it ~would~ greatly extend
the accepted length of the strewnfield. Even if you don't find a
~Nakhla~ meteorite, given the desert location your chances are quite
good that you'll find other meteorites while searching.

--Rob