[meteorite-list] Good v.Bad

From: MARSROX_at_aol.com <MARSROX_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:51 2004

I was touched to read members' Steve Sach's words of regret, words that
aren't easy for any of us to write under any circumstances.

My warm, fuzzy feeling was nuked by the message I just received from Ron
Baalke and I'm reminded of why people are cynical about their government and,
in a general sense, how hateful some people are, and why one can grow to
mistrust and lose all respect for others.

Ron had privately sent me a change yesterday to the language surrounding the
"Nakhla dog" on the website he administers for NASA. He offered two different
versions for my review. One was the status quo and totally unacceptable to
me, the other was less ambiguous and I suggested changing a couple of words.

He replied back yesterday with a version that was accurate and acceptable, a
version he marked- "Better." This was followed by the same unacceptable
version from the day before now marked "I like this even better."

I agreed to his, HIS, version #1 marked "Better," thanked him for his
efforts, and mentioned that this peaceful settlement should be announced to
you, the m-list for "closure."

I have just received a response from Ron. He's refusing to accept HIS OWN
version of the story that I agreed with. The message reads in part, "Like I
said, I like this even better," followed by the version I'd refused twice.

His message ends, "I already changed the phrasing a week ago anyway."

Ron has never offered a shred of meaningful proof that the dog existed, and I
have in my files copies of support for my take on the dog from the most
senior and academic members of this list and from the world's great
meteoriticists. I'm honored by their interest.

As for the dog, the story should and will exist as "a story," but it's
scientifically dead.

I won't waste my time in the future entertaining the vacuous imaginations of
such an arrogant and duplicitous person as Ron Baalke.

Kevin Kichinka