[meteorite-list] Bruderheim info

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:50 2004

Hi Graham,

> I live only about 100km (60mi) from Bruderheim. The Bruderheim meteorite
> fell on March 4, 1960. What are the chances that there are still
meteorites
> in the strewnfield?

100%.

> I am planning on searcing it this summer. Have any of you had any luck
> searcing old strewnfields?

I believe many members of this list have had good success at the
strewnfields they have visited: Holbrook, Gold Basin, Correo, Allende,
Imilac, etc. Large strewnfields (and Bruderheim at 303+ kg certainly
qualifies) are NEVER completely searched out.

The main problem I forsee for Bruderheim is its Alberta, Canada
location. After 42 years in the western Canadian climate, weathering
will have taken at least some toll on the remaining specimens, perhaps
making discrimination a little more difficult.

> Also, does anyone know where I can find a map that shows the
> strewnfield relative to the town? I have seen many maps of just
> the strewnfield but I can't figure out exactly how to get to it.

After 10 minutes of web browsing, I found the following map:

<http://www.geo.ucalgary.ca/cdnmeteorites/meteorite/bruderheim.html>

which you've probably seen. The Catalogue of Meteorites lists the
fall coordinates as 53d 54'N, 112d 53'W, and mentions that the
strewnfield is "3km across".

Cheers,
Rob