[meteorite-list] Meteorite Find Would Be Out Of This World

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:50 2004

Hi All,

I have communicated with Rich on his hunt about a month ago. I think he is or at least
was a member of this list a while back (one with a virus attached). Thought I might
try to join in on the fun. The article says:
he hopes to use infrared photography to find the now buried meteorite when the weather
warms.

If this thing is buried three four feet below the surface (and believe me that's about
how deep the farmer probably buried it or deeper. Then this should have the same
temperature as the surrounding ground (unless it's retained its white hot temperature
from its fall) or (has retained its 200 degree temperature from space) I think after
100 years it is safe to assume it is the same temperature as the surrounding ground it
is in so using the infrared photography to me won't work. Any thoughts on this?

P.S.

I commented to one writer about the price and tried to explain a number of things on
the pricing of meteorites and such a large piece. He used a geologists and some
professor's estimates (I just think he quoted Rich). They also don't take into
consideration this may be a rust bucket by now and will have real rust problems should
he get it out of the ground. The Plymouth pieces I looked at in the Field Museum show
signs of rust and they have been retained for sometime now.

--AL