[meteorite-list] Re: New Naklha Dog Evidence

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:49 2004

Hi, Members of the DDG (Dog Discussion Group),

    The quote describing the circumstances of the fall contains a datum which is testable and
could yield information:

     "The fearful column which appeared in the sky at Denshal
     was substantial. The terrific noise it emitted was an
     explosion which made it erupt in several fragments of
     volcanic materials. These curious fragments, falling to earth
     buried themselves into the sand to the depth of about one metre."

    Someone somewhere with more specific engineering experience ought to be able to tell us
what velocity is necessary to drive a small rock fragment one meter deep in sand. More
velocity, I would assume, than would be necessary to drive a bullet a meter deep in sand, since
a bullet is shaped to penetrate and a meteorite isn't.
    Are there any ballistics experts among us who could tell us what size (and speed) of bullet
penetrates a meter in loose sand?
    This might yield another constraint as to the feasibility of the story overall.

Sterling K. Webb