[meteorite-list] GPS

From: Alexander Seidel <ase_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:47 2004

Tom wrote:

> Which brand GPS do you think I can buy one, megellon or garmin. Also I
> wanted something to hook up to the computer to download data. I could use it
> for land and in airplane too.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

A GARMIN product still seems to be one of the better, if not the best,
choice(s).

I have had one (the old model GPS 45) for more than six years now, and
it still works, works, works... without any problems at all. It is still
watertight after all those years, it has survived several quite severe
crashes onto the ground, it has even survived confiscation by the Cuban
authorities in November 2000, after arrival at Varadero airport, where
they found it in my baggage. Btw: I got it back immediately before
departure from the airport two weeks later, which, wasn´t tooooooo easy!
:-) If they dismantled it into pieces, and put everything into place
again while I travelled the island without my old ever-present
companion, it even survived that. So here is my personal conclusion: I
can only wholeheartedly recommend a GARMIN... :-)

Best wishes,
Alex
--
 Alexander Seidel  | Home position on planet Earth: |