[meteorite-list] SaharaMet, 2001 expedition photos

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:44 2004

>Hello, we don't know if we have the permission to discuss about >serious
>meteorite prospecting work and results on this mailing. When >we read Dean
>Bessey offensive comments, it seems that only NWA >business is welcome.
>Richard & Roland Pelisson - SaharaMet

Your serious prospecting work and results are much welcome, desired and of
interest. I am sure that it would be of great interest to many list members
(Including myself - I always like desert meteorite search stories).
What is not welcome is comments that "My meteorites are better than your
meteorites" and efforts to drive everybody else who dont conform to your
fine detailed meteorite gathering techniques out of the meteorite market and
out of the Sahara desert.
You have no right to be accusing anybody of "Plundering the Sahara" (Your
words, not mine) just because you dont like competation. I have never said
that you guys shouldent be there. You have just as much a right to be in the
sahara and to post your stories on this list as anybody else. Since you have
more details on your finds and searches than most people freely give (And
also because I have not seen evidence that you give false information like
some other desert searchers so your stories and details seem accurate) your
stories would be of great interest to a lot of meteorite minded people.
But that "anybody else" that has a right to search the Sahara includes me
and the nomads who search the desert for me.
The desert is big enough for all of us. There is no need to try and drive
other searchers out. It would be boring if we all did the same thing anyway.
For the record I commend your efforts at supplying such detailed data on
your finds. Because of that your strewnfield data is of use to researchers
and other searchers (Including myself) which is lost with the "NWA"
meteorites that I sell. But that doesnt mean that the "NWAs" should be left
in the desert to rust for another 40,000 years.
And I am not "Plundering the Sahara" any more than you are. We do it in
different ways but the bottom line is that we are both responsible for
removing the meteorites from the desert. I guess that you could make an
arguement that we are "Plundering".
And your meteorites are not better than mine.
DEAN