[meteorite-list] Re: Breccia formation

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:44 2004

Thanks Rhett,

Now that you mention it, I remember reading (and
seeing ) that inclusion in one of Dr. Kring's papers.

But that raises a good point, how many "clasts" does
it take to make a breccia? Does just one "clast" make
for the entire meteorite to be called a breccia?
Wouldn't a better alternative term be "inclusion"? If
not, then that would make most chondrites a breccia.
(Or, at least a conglomerate;-)

But you're right, Rhett. This is the only example I
can think of, too. What I'm trying to reconcile, is
how can a meteorite (Gold Basin) have stones that are
L4, some L5, and a bunch that are L6, but never a
stone with a mixture of the three petrology, and never
showing evidence of brecciation?

Maybe my original question should have been, has
anyone ever cut into a Gold Basin stone and found one
end to look like L4, and the other end to look like
L6? I know I never have.

Bob V.