[meteorite-list] My first meteorite: type specimen requirement

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:44 2004

Hi Matteo and list,

I forgot I wanted to respond to Matteo's post about submission of
adequate type specimens:

> ... my first meteorite that I have found has been the
> Lido di Venezia in April 1999; hour I hope comes published
> on the Met.Bull. but ne I doubt, inasmuch as for the analyses
> I have only given 1.1 grams and I do not want for no reason
> to give 20 grams of my first meteorite.

I don't remember the mass of Matteo's first meteorite from Venice,
but my recollection is that it is quite a bit less than 100 grams.
If so, then Matteo may be under the misconception that he has to
deposit 20 grams to a recognized institution in order for the
meteorite to be listed in the Meteoritical Bulletin. However,
for meteorites under 100 grams, the requirement is 20% of the
mass. If such a rule wasn't in place, then meteorites under
20 grams could never appear in the Bulletin, which clearly
isn't the case.

Hopefully this lower contribution requirement will be more
palatable to you, Matteo. I know it's hard to part with a fifth
of your very first find, but I think it's an equitable arrangement
given the amount of time (i.e. money) that goes into making a
thin section, analyzing the sample under a petrologic microscope
and microprobe, reducing the data, and publishing the analysis.

Cheers,
Rob