[meteorite-list] Input appreciated on meteorwrong ID

From: Rob and Colleen <iguana_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:44 2004

--------------DAE609B860513E19E87FF086

Hello all-

Yesterday I received an email from a gentleman who thought he may have a
meteorite. He sent the photos linked to below and the following info I
asked for:

The piece was found in southern Ontario,at the bottom of the bay of
Quinte.It was actually snagged while fishing!The outer crust seems to be
iron oxide,the main bulk of the rock is a lighter,almost sedimentary in
appearance.There seems to be areas of heat related discolouration around
some of the thumbprint holes.

It doesn't seem to be magnetic nor does it seem to absorb water.It's
about 5 inches long, 2.5 inches across, probably2-3 LBS,but I don't have
an accurate scale.Any idea what might cause the thumbprints if it isn't
meteorite?

At this point, given that it was an oceanic recovery, not magnetic, and
is described as having differing properties throughout, its terrestrial
origin is clear. Does anyone have any idea what it IS and a possible
answer to his query regarding the thumbprinted appearance? Images are a
quick load. I will forward your responses to him. Thanks in advance,

http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/ra/rancor/.mids/Identify1.jpg
http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/ra/rancor/.mids/Identify2.jpg

--
Rob Wesel
--------------
a meteorite. He sent the photos linked to below and the following info
I asked for:
<P><I>The piece was found in southern Ontario,at the bottom of the bay
of Quinte.It was actually snagged while fishing!The outer crust seems to
be iron oxide,the main bulk of the rock is a lighter,almost sedimentary
in appearance.There seems to be areas of heat related discolouration around
some of the thumbprint holes.</I><I></I>
<P><I>It doesn't seem to be magnetic nor does it seem to absorb water.It's
about 5 inches long, 2.5 inches across, probably2-3 LBS,but I don't have
an accurate scale.Any idea what might cause the thumbprints if it isn't
meteorite?</I><I></I>
<P>At this point, given that it was an oceanic recovery, not magnetic,
and is described as having differing properties throughout, its terrestrial
origin is clear. Does anyone have any idea what it IS and a possible answer
to his query regarding the thumbprinted appearance? Images are a quick
load. I will forward your responses to him. Thanks in advance,
<P><A HREF="http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/ra/rancor/.mids/Identify1.jpg">http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/ra/rancor/.mids/Identify1.jpg</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/ra/rancor/.mids/Identify2.jpg">http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/ra/rancor/.mids/Identify2.jpg</A>
<P>--
<BR>Rob Wesel
<BR>We are the music makers...and we are the dreamers of the dreams.
<BR>Willy Wonka, 1971
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>