[meteorite-list] Taza

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:42 2004

Marcin inquired:

> I am looking for any info about TAZA ...

Hello Marcin and List,

There has been only scarce background info on Taza so far.
The only details I have available come from Scott Brey's
comments in Joel Schiff's "Meteorite" magazine:

BREY S. (2001) Taza (Meteorite, Nov. 2001, Vol. 7, No. 4, p. 5):

Below (= in the magazine) is a picture of an etched slice of the new
Taza plessitic octahedrite (from Morocco) for all those who may not
have seen this type etch pattern before. The fine kamacite needles
are the only feature visible upon casual glance, as can be seen in
the image. Taza is very rich in nickel (over 16%) and is also highly
enriched in many of the trace elements, Co, Cu, Ga, Ge, As, W, Ir,
Pt, Au. According to Prof. Wasson at UCLA, Taza is very closely
related to the Butler, Missouri iron and both of these finds are
members of the IAB complex which consists of 6 groups and 30
ungrouped irons (including Butler and Taza). A paper on this new
grouping scheme is pending. The Taza find consists of numerous
individuals totalling about 55kg and the TKW for the Butler iron
was about 40kg.

You can also go to Scott's website where you will find
some nice specimens worth seeing and further comments:

http://www.planetbreymeteorites.com/

Best wishes,

Bernd