[meteorite-list] My First Specimens

From: GShanos_at_aol.com <GShanos_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:41 2004

Dear List Members:

My first meteorite was actually a package of three irons. In October 1985, I
saw an ad in SKY & TELESCOPE by Robert Haag for meteorites! I never knew
that normal people were able to own meteorites. I assumed they were
"untouchable" like the moon rocks. Only available to museums and
universities. Well, I sent away for his catalog and purchased three irons
approximately 100 grams each of an Odessa complete slice, Canyon Diablo
individual and Henbury individual. All three for only $60 including
shipping!!! Ah, those were the days. My next purchase was a 1gram fragment
of Murchison for only $20. When I weighted it on my balance, it was actually
2.1 grams. The rest is history...

I was only 25 years old when I purchased these specimens. I can remember the
pre-internet days where one never saw how the meteorite actually appeared. I
too liked David News descriptions, choice, suberb, etc It was a real thrill
opening up the package and seeing the specimen for the first time. All
specimens received where top quality meteorites, I rarely ever sent any back.
 Today, one knows how the meteorite appears before purchase- still a thrill
in my mind. Take care.

Sincerley
Greg Shanos
Sarasota, Florida