[meteorite-list] My First Meteorite

From: Steve Witt <stelor96_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:41 2004

     Greetings List,

   I don't think I've seen so many members respond to one thread as I
have this most recent one. My first specimen was purchased from Al
Mitterling, a 40 gram slice of Gibeon, which I of course still have.

   Al and I live equidistant from the small town of Hamlet, In (the
site of a fall in 1959) and he agreed to meet me there to show me my
first meteorites. I was quite impressed that a guy I didn't even know
would go to all this trouble just because I expressed an interest in
space rocks. I got his name from the list of dealers in O.R. Norton's
Rocks from Space. I was immediately mesmerized by being able to hold
in my hand an object that had come from "out there" and then burning
through out atmosphere to finally end up in MY hand. A rush I still
get every time I touch one of these marvelous pieces of our Solar
System. My collection has grown to around 90 specimens and I, as many
of you have, started collecting thin sections. A whole new world of
fascination!

   My thanks to Al again for the time he took and since has taken to
answer questions for me, show me new specimens, check out my
meteor-wrongs, as well as selling me a few fine specimens at the most
reasonable prices I have yet to find.

                             Steve