[meteorite-list] First Meteorite

From: Dennis Bomke <dbomke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:40 2004

Dear list,

Although I received my undergraduate degree in Geology in the 70's, my
professional interests moved on to environmental science and information
technology and away from "rocks". My interest in collecting rocks began
again in the mid 90's when I joined a local earth science club. After
hearing a lecture on astronomy and meteorites at a meeting, I got the idea
that it would be very interesting to own something that has been traveling
in space for billions of years. My first meteorites were a small Canyon
Diablo and Gibeon from Omni Resources in 1998. For reasons that nearly all
of you can identify with, that got my interest going. Several months later
I purchased a 130 g. Gao, 48 g. Vaca Muerta and a 3.2 kg Gibeon from Michael
Casper. At our annual earth science club show that fall we had arranged for
several displays from NASA including one of the Apollo Moon Rocks. Also at
that show Tim Heitz had a display of meteorites and I purchased an Allende
and Juancheng from him. All of these things managed to hook me on
collecting meteorites and related space science material.

I now have more than 50 different meteorites and a large number or tektites,
impactites, impact breccia, impact glass, shatter cones, meteorite
publications (old and new as well as meteorite post cards) and other space
science related material.

Dennis Bomke