[meteorite-list] First Meteorite and David New

From: Alexander Seidel <ase_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:55:40 2004

Bernd Pauli HD wrote:

> Bob King wrote:
>
> > As long as we're getting nostalgic I fondly recall David
> > New's regularly mailed lists of meteorite specimens filled with
> > loving adjectives like "choice, lustrous, superb, brilliant, excellent,
> > rich and varied..." In the days before pictures on the Internet he
> > whipped up some fine descriptions for his offerings!
>
> Hi Bob and List,
>
> Oh yeah, David New, a genuine gentleman and trustworthy dealer in
> the days before the Internet ... and he is still around with beautiful,
> high quality thin sections and occasional offers to some among us.
> And I still proudly own his "Meteorites of Interest" lists starting with
> 1987 Fall, 6 pages until Winter 1994, 5 pages - and with my eyes wide
> open, I stare at some of his offers like:
>
> - Pena Blanca thin section $25.00 (Summer 1993, p. 18),
> - Buchwald Vagn, Handbook of Iron Meteorites Volumes 1-3,
> $175.00 + postage (July 1992)
> - etc. etc.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Bernd

Hi folks,

I agree with both Bobīs and Berndīs comments about David New.

David is still around, though mainly as a natural diamonds dealer in
these days, and btw will be in Tucson in a couple of weeks to "...look
over all the meteorite stocks checking prices and types..." (recent
private communication). So any of you guys lucky enough to attend the
show will have a chance to meet that fine old gent walking around
looking at spacerocks. I wonder whether all those younger generation
dealers like Dean Bessey, Mike Farmer, Matt Morgan etc., who nowadays
more or less rely on the internet, personally know that old-time-dealer
from the pre-internet times. He was one of the only very few ones around
then, in this business since the Fifties or so.

I had the great pleasure to meet him and his wife personally while
visiting the NW part of the U.S.A. and Canada on a vacation trip way
back in 1992. This was the time when I purchased my first pallasite
(Esquel 46.3 g crusted partslice) at his home in Anacortes - for $5/g! -
and I was sooo proud of it and looked at it every evening in all the
motels which I arrived at during my roundtrip after that visit. It still
has a premium place in my collection.

My very first meteorite: a fresh, crusted piece (16.3 g) of the Allende
fall, acquired back in 1970 or 1971 from Walter Zeitschel, the
grand-ole-man of amateur meteoritics here in Germany, also still in my
collection, of course, which I seriously started no earlier than about
10 years ago after my meeting with David. I havenīt heard to much from
Walter Zeitschel lately, but hope he is still around, engaged in our
common hobby and at good health.

Best,
Alex
--
 Alexander Seidel  | Home position on planet Earth: |