[meteorite-list] "Meteorite" May Have Fallen In Maryland

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:11 2004

On Thu, 28 February 2002, "Matson, Robert" wrote

> Hi All,
>
> Once again, a stone turned in by John Q. Public has
turned out
> to be just that: an ordinary rock. I feel sorry for
Michael
> Mumma, the chief scientist for planetary research at
NASA's
> Goddard Space Flight Center, who was quoted in the
story as
> saying, "As soon as I saw the stone it was
immediately obvious
> to me it was a meteorite." --Rob

Just goes to show you that even the "experts" don't
know what to look for.

How many times can I tell where I get "this rock was
identified by a local college as being a meteorite"--
And-- I have to tell them-- No.

I have yet to get one so identified.

Steve Schoner