[meteorite-list] Melting meteorite iron?

From: meteorite1.net <themeteoritesite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:08 2004

Hello Jeff,

    Yes you are correct, if you melt down Gibeon or any other Iron meteorite
the Widmanstatten pattern that was formed from long term cooling will be
destroyed. You will be left with a nickel-iron alloy depending on what the
smelter or blacksmith adds to the mix, any silicate inclusions & or
schribertsite will be lost in the melted slag skimmed off of the top or
settling to the bottom.

Yes it would still polish to a high luster no matter which meteorite you
chose to use

Sincerely,
Jim

James Hartman
themeteoritesite_at_hotmail.com
www.meteorite1.net
imca_5098_at_hotmail.com (for IMCA member contact)

Authenticity Guaranteed
www.meteoritecollectors.org