[meteorite-list] Photos of Meteorites

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:06 2004

------=_NextPart_000_004A_01C1B7F9.71055880

Walter,

First off it is a great photo..especially of a metallic object which are =
the hardest to do digitally.
I sell on ebay and have taken 19,081 photos with my Sony Cyber-Shot =
DSC-S50 since its purchase in 10/00.=20
I have found that the Phillips Master Line Flood 28 Natural light floods =
work very well to initially illuminate the subject. You can get them at =
Wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. You may remember the commercial for =
these bulbs, they feature a baby under both lights. It seems that =
photofloods for analog(film) photography is not to the liking of digital =
cameras.=20

I also take a color board from any art store that has the primary colors =
on it and place it on my background and then adjust the white balance =
and exposure level + or - EV by taking some sample shots of the color =
board. I mainly use spot metering mode and then meter against the =
brightest spot in the frame. When they look good on the LCD I then take =
the best and I view them on my PC, as I have found the the LCD is not as =
accurate for the fine tuning. I take pictures against most white or =
black backgrounds and find that even the time of day and amount of =
ambient light can effect the final results from day to day. Sometimes =
under exposing and relying on the flash to illuminate the object helps, =
other times the flash is off and I simply adjust the exposure with the =
EV adjustment.=20

I have to say I have had some training in analog photography, but am far =
from an expert. It took me about 4 months to adjust my way of thinking =
to get any good at all with my digital camera, I personally think film =
is much easier and much more forgiving.=20
I will be glad to discuss any questions or problems with you if I can be =
of any assistance in the future I am all yours. That goes for anyone on =
the list that is getting into Digital Photography on the list. Again I =
am not an expert but in a sense I take ALOT of pictures everyday and am =
still learnin so I am taking suggestions also. Anyone know of a =
manufacturer that makes a loight meter for Digitals?

Hope some of this helps,

Mark Miconi
  ----- Original Message -----=20