[meteorite-list] New Finds

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:04 2004

Greetings Mohamed,

> If you like please check out my nice new finds of
> (non)meteo(rite/wrong) or whatever-they-are:

They are all terrestrial rocks.

> this looks like basalt but it is more than 50% pure metal:
> http://pages.britishlibrary.net/mhy10/meteor/nkl.htm

That's not clear from the images. That orange part is certainly
not elemental metal, nor is the black part. That covers more
than 90% of the rock.

> new chondrites:
> http://pages.britishlibrary.net/mhy10/meteor/chnd3.htm

I previously informed you (off-list) that those circular cavities
are gas holes, some later filled with either silicious or calcareous
material. You're certainly welcome to ask the list for a second
opinion. Others here with more geology or mineralogy experience
could perhaps give you a more reliable assessment of the dark host
rock and its lighter-colored, calcite-like inclusions. But one
thing is absolutely certain -- it's not a meteorite.

Keep trying. Again, I urge you to concentrate on smaller specimens.
Your odds of finding a meteorite improve dramatically if you stick
to rocks weighing less than a kilogram, and better still if they
way less than a pound.

Cheers,
Rob