[meteorite-list] Massachusetts Residents Report Hearing Sonic Boom, Seeing Fireball

From: peter scherff <peterscherff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:03 2004

Hi Ron,

        I was at the Arunah Hill Natural Science Center in Cummington,
MA when I heard the sonic booms. At the time I didn't know what caused
them. Since there was a plane visible in the sky at the time I assumed
that it had broken the sound barrier. However when I went to work this
morning I saw that the front page of the Springfield Republican had a
story about a fireball being sighted. The quotes in the paper are the
typical "it landed in the woods over there" type (see link
http://www.masslive.com/springfield/unionnews/index.ssf?/news/pstories/a
e210sky.html). There was also similar coverage in the Berkshire Eagle.

        Many people in the area that I have talked to heard or felt the
sonic booms but I can't find any one saw the fireball.

Thanks,

Peter Scherff