[meteorite-list] Re: Tribal Leaders Upset By Sale Of Meteorite Fragments

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:03 2004

>Tribal officials said Pitt should give the pieces to the tribe.

Oh, I'm sure they did.

I think that Darryl should give the pieces to ME. I promise to make up
some silly ceremony surrounding them as a way to "prove" my right to take
them from their current owner.

>The tribe said it won't buy the pieces because it "refuses to participate in
>or encourage the marketing of spiritually significant items."

Why should they bother to buy them when just whining and appealing to the
PC Police will get them oh so very much for free?

>Two years ago, the Grand Ronde asked the New York museum to return the space
>rock, saying it was spiritually significant to the tribe. The tribe and
>museum settled their dispute with an agreement that allows the Grand Ronde
>access to the meteorite to hold religious and cultural ceremonies.

I've always thought that the Museum caved to outside pressure in a case
they would surely have won in court. This cop-out is now causing problems
for innocent third party folks like Mr. Pitt thanks to the legal precedent
it created. Way to go fellas.

Bob Martino Can you really name a star?
                                   http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/
"I look up to the heavens