[meteorite-list] Meteorites and Kids

From: trandall_at_idsi.net <trandall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:59 2004

   Great story Walter and Frank!

I was asked by a pre-school teacher I know to bring in a meteorite
for her class after a little boy picked up a piece of blacktop
outside and asked the teacher if it was a meteorite. She asked me if
it was (knowing it probably wasn't) and I said no, it's not but I can
show you a real meteorite if you want. Well his eyes lit up and the
teacher then asked if I'd bring one in. Well, imagine 15-20 3-4 year
olds sitting in a circle as I walk in with a 154 gram Canyon Diablo.
Since their too young for the technical talk I told them it was a
meteorite and that it came from Outer space, their little eyes just
lit right up and they started oohing and Ahhing as I sat down and
handed it to a little girl. They notice (like adults) the weight
right away. They asked pretty good questions for such a young bunch,
things like "it came from space?", "How did it get here?", "Why is it
so heavy?". It's really a TON of fun showing kids meteorites, adults
too for that matter.

Although I'm not a dealer in meteorites, just a collector it's fun to
educate the young and old about them. I think we did this thread
awhile back but it's always great to read stories like these.

Regards,

Tom Randall
IMCA #6170