[meteorite-list] Meteorites and Kids

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:59 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C1ABBF.FA188A20

Hello Everyone,

I recently had the chance to talk about meteorites to six classes of =
third grade students, something which I enjoy very much. If you have not =
done this and you get the opportunity, I would encourage you to do so. =
It is really a lot of fun. Let me share a few of my observations.

Kids love the big heavy irons, bring at least one but make sure it is a =
solid piece. They can pass it around but if it is a rust flaky Nantan, =
for example, they will manage to peel off some lose rust spots and it is =
kind of embarrassing to the presenter. Also do not let them handle a =
Sikhote-Alin shrapnel piece. Some shrapnel have VERY sharp edges which =
can easily cut small hands, which would also be embarrassing to the =
presenter.

I like to bring a large piece of quartz crystal with me to make a nice =
contrast between a nice fusion crusted stone and terrestrial rocks and =
minerals. Some kids, though, will be as interested if not more =
interested in the quartz.

The children were very much aware of the monetary value of meteorites. A =
girl asked how much I would offer her if she found a meteorite from the =
moon and I jokingly responded, "well, at least $10.00." The kids got the =
joke because they knew it would be worth much more than that. A few kids =
focused almost exclusively on the monetary value of meteorites ("how is =
that one worth, etc.").

I bring along several books with nice pictures of meteorites to augment =
the presentation and my homemade "Magnet on a Stick" (actually, a big =
dowel rod). My wife teaches third grade language arts and in her class, =
a girl had brought in her rock collection for me to examine to determine =
if any were meteorites. For now, lets call her the "Rock Girl."

I talked about the properties of meteorites and I demonstrated they are =
attracted to a magnet and earth rocks are not. There are some =
terrestrial exceptions but I figured why complicate matters by pointing =
out the rare exceptions. Rock girl brings a metallic looking rock =
towards me, I hold the magnet on a stick out to her, she places it on =
the magnet and low and behold, IT STICKS.

Silence fell over the room and the little girl had a grin that stretched =
from ear to ear. Simultaneously, my eyes open, my mouth drops and I =
hurriedly bring the object closer for inspection. After years of working =
with meteorites, I immediately knew what it was...

Hematite :-(

Okay, now I back peddle a little and explain that there ARE some earth =
rocks that kinda look like meteorites and will stick to a magnet and =
HEMATITE is one (you can see an example of this great meteorwrong on my =
website). South Georgia is not known for large quantities of hematite =
but I failed to ask her immediately where she obtained her sample. My =
mistake.

A little while latter I show the kids three large perfectly formed =
tektites: a dumbbell, a disk, and a teardrop. I explain the differences =
between meteorites and tektites, I let the kids hold them, and all of a =
sudden the Rock Girl says, "I have one of those." She pulls a black =
glassy object from a box on her desk and hands it to me. I look at the =
top surface and recognize it immediately...

It's a tektite!

Now, you have to understand my excitement at this point. The Georgia =
Tektite strewn field is about four or five counties west of the school. =
As far as I know, no Georgia tektite has ever been found in Bryan =
County, which is where the little girl lives. I looked over at my wife =
and after seeing literally dozens of kg of tektites even she recognized =
it as a probable tektite. I began thinking that the Georgia strewn field =
has just now been greatly extended when I turned it over and my heart =
sank.

The other side was very smooth and concave, as if it were once part of =
the interior of a larger object and was part of a gas bubble.

It was a Chinese tektite. Exactly like my presentation pieces and =
exactly like the dozens of kg I have sold in the past. I then asked the =
girl how she obtained her rock collection and she showed me her =
collection box with nice glossy printed cards. The tektite (and =
hematite) were part of a set that her father had purchased. =
Unfortunately, there were no meteorites in the set but she did have the =
beginnings of a very nice rock collection.

This reminded me that about four years ago, one boy brought me a glassy =
object that looked like it might be a tektite. I sent it to Bill Glass =
but the microprobe analysis showed that it was not.=20

I showed a large slice of Allende and I casually asked if anyone could =
tell me waht the large white spots were. After only a few hints, a =
teacher correctly guessed calcium (as wel as other elements). Her =
students were very impressed!

Again, if you get the chance to present to kids, please consider doing =
so. It's a lot of fun and the kids are really interested in the stories =
with some meteorites such as El Hammami, Beaver, Canyon Diablo, Claxton, =
Peekskill, Cape York, etc.

Best wishes,

-Walter=20

Walter Branch, Ph.D.
Branch Meteorites
322 Stephenson Ave., Suite B
Savannah, GA 31405 USA
www.branchmeteorites.com

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C1ABBF.FA188A20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>Hello Everyone,</P>
<P>I recently had the chance to talk about meteorites to six classes of =
third=20
grade students, something which I enjoy very much. If you have not done =
this and=20
you get the opportunity, I would encourage you to do so. It is really a =
lot of=20
fun. Let me share a few of my observations.</P>
<P>Kids love the big heavy irons, bring at least one but make sure it is =
a solid=20
piece. They can pass it around but if it is a rust flaky Nantan, for =
example,=20
they will manage to peel off some lose rust spots and it is kind of =
embarrassing=20
to the presenter. Also do not let them handle a Sikhote-Alin shrapnel =
piece.=20
Some shrapnel have VERY sharp edges which can easily cut small hands, =
which=20
would also be embarrassing to the presenter.</P>
<P>I like to bring a large piece of quartz crystal with me to make a =
nice=20
contrast between a nice fusion crusted stone and terrestrial rocks and=20
minerals.&nbsp; Some kids, though, will be as interested if not more =
interested=20
in the quartz.</P>
<P>The children were very much aware of the monetary value of =
meteorites. A girl=20
asked how much I would offer her if she found a meteorite from the moon =
and I=20
jokingly responded, "well, at least $10.00." The kids got the joke =
because they=20
knew it would be worth much more than that. A few kids focused almost=20
exclusively on the monetary value of meteorites ("how is that one worth, =

etc.").</P>
<P>I bring along several books with nice pictures of meteorites to =
augment the=20
presentation and my homemade "Magnet on a Stick" (actually, a big dowel =
rod). My=20
wife teaches third grade language arts and in her class, a girl had =
brought in=20
her rock collection for me to examine to determine if any were =
meteorites. For=20
now, lets call her the "Rock Girl."</P>
<P>I talked about the properties of meteorites and I demonstrated they =
are=20
attracted to a magnet and earth rocks are not. There are some =
terrestrial=20
exceptions but I figured why complicate matters by pointing out the rare =

exceptions. Rock girl brings a metallic looking rock towards me, I hold =
the=20
magnet on a stick out to her, she places it on the magnet and low and =
behold, IT=20
STICKS.</P>
<P>Silence fell over the room and the little girl had a grin that =
stretched from=20
ear to ear. Simultaneously, my eyes open, my mouth drops and I hurriedly =
bring=20
the object closer for inspection. After years of working with =
meteorites, I=20
immediately knew what it was...</P>
<P>Hematite :-(</P>
<P>Okay, now I back peddle a little and explain that there ARE some =
earth rocks=20
that kinda look like meteorites and will stick to a magnet and HEMATITE =
is one=20
(you can see an example of this great meteorwrong on my website). South =
Georgia=20
is not known for large quantities of hematite but I failed to ask her=20
immediately where she obtained her sample. My mistake.</P>
<P>A little while latter I show the kids three large perfectly formed =
tektites:=20
a dumbbell, a disk, and a teardrop. I explain the differences between =
meteorites=20
and tektites, I let the kids hold them, and all of a sudden the Rock =
Girl says,=20
"I have one of those." She pulls a black glassy object from a box on her =
desk=20
and hands it to me. I look at the top surface and recognize it=20
immediately...</P>
<P>It's a tektite!</P>
<P>Now, you have to understand my excitement at this point. The Georgia =
Tektite=20
strewn field is about four or five counties west of the school. As far =
as I=20
know, no Georgia tektite has ever been found in Bryan County, which is =
where the=20
little girl lives. I looked over at my wife and after seeing literally =
dozens of=20
kg of tektites even she recognized it as a probable tektite. I began =
thinking=20
that the Georgia strewn field has just now been greatly extended when I =
turned=20
it over and my heart sank.</P>
<P>The other side was very smooth and concave, as if it were once part =
of the=20
interior of a larger object and was part of a gas bubble.</P>
<P>It was a Chinese tektite. Exactly like my presentation pieces and =
exactly=20
like the dozens of kg I have sold in the past. I then asked the girl how =
she=20
obtained her rock collection and she showed me her collection box with =
nice=20
glossy printed cards. The tektite (and hematite) were part of a set that =
her=20
father had purchased. Unfortunately, there were no meteorites in the set =
but she=20
did have the beginnings of a very nice rock collection.</P>
<P>This reminded me that about four years ago, one boy brought me a =
glassy=20
object that looked like it might be a tektite. I sent it to Bill Glass =
but the=20
microprobe analysis showed that it was not. </P>
<P>I showed a large slice of Allende and I casually asked if anyone =
could tell=20
me waht the large white spots were.&nbsp; After only a few hints, a =
teacher=20
correctly guessed calcium (as wel as other elements).&nbsp; Her students =
were=20
very impressed!</P>
<P>Again, if you get the chance to present to kids, please consider =
doing so.=20
It's a lot of fun and the kids are really interested in the stories with =
some=20
meteorites such as El Hammami, Beaver, Canyon Diablo, Claxton, =
Peekskill, Cape=20
York, etc.</P>
<P>Best wishes,</P>
<P>-Walter </P></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
Branch,=20
Ph.D.<BR>Branch Meteorites<BR>322 Stephenson Ave., Suite B<BR>Savannah, =
GA&nbsp;=20
31405 USA<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.branchmeteorites.com">www.branchmeteorites.com</A></FO=