[meteorite-list] NWA 1459 / Taza

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:38 2004

Hi Frank & all,
        Besides the full slice of NWA 1459, I just received 4 photos of
small pieces of this meteorite that will be posted on my auction site
later today - and a few more will be added by Adam and Greg over
the next couple of days. In other words, there will be several small
pieces that most "Type" collectors can afford if they are not one of the
fortunate collectors that can afford to start the bidding at an amazingly
"low" price of $6K for the full slice (that really is low - strange as it
sounds. To date this material has sold at over $8.5K/g! It is SO limited
and the ONLY one of its kind). I agree, 1459 has got to be THE new find of
2002.
        However, I do have to disagree with Mark on the Taza.... The REAL
problem with Taza is not the price - the stuff is AMAZING.. the real
problem is there is NO wholesale price for this stuff! You just cannot
get a wholesale price regardless of quantity you are willing to purchase.
BUT, Taza is an amazing iron. I had to buy several, myself. My favorite
is an INCREADABLE oriented one I have - unfortunately, it is only a
few grams. Still, tickles me silly.
        Best wishes & a Happy Happy, Michael

on 12/31/02 8:57 AM, fcressy at fcressy_at_prodigy.net wrote:

> Hello Mark and all,
>
>> Favorite New Meteorite from a Find, tough one....someone help me here.
>
> Think I'd change this category to: "Best New Meteorite From A Find" and in
> my opinion it's NWA 1459, the Hupe's new Olivine Diogenite. I think it will
> add significant information to our understanding of Vesta and similar
> differentiated asteroids. Looks like there will be a 2 gram slice available
> at Michael Blood's auction in Tucson. Happy bidding ;-)
>
> Wishing everyone a Happy New Year.
> Frank

Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.
          - Friedrich Nietzsche
--
Worth Seeing:
-  Earth at night from satelite: