[meteorite-list] utah meteorites

From: starharvest_at_attbi.com <starharvest_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:38 2004

Steve, I live in Salt Lake City, and have been hunting all over Utah for
meteorites. Iv'e combed the deserts, and have even given the Bonneville Salt
Flats a try. I figured that searching on the salt flats would be comparable to
searching on the poles or in glacial areas. Well...I found nothing but salt ,a
few dried up grasshoppers and a few lumps of feces of some sort. I remember
when I was young there was a large iron meteorite on display in the lobby of
the Utah state capitol. It was supposedly found on the salt flats. A couple
of months ago the pilot of a small aircraft reported a near collision with a
fragmenting meteorite just before impacting somewhere in the San Raphael Desert
near Green River, Utah. I searched that desert. I found some very beautiful
stones, some dinosaur bones, and some ancient petroglyphs....but no meteorite
yet. Oh but....One night this past summer, while hiking at night in Spanish
Fork Canyon, I saw a huge fireball sweep through the glittery night sky so
close it seemed that I could have touched it! It only lasted a second or two,
but thrilled me to gooseflesh. Yup...Theyr'e out there somewhere. And I'm
gonna find one! LUCKY NEW YEAR! Rand Kluge.