[meteorite-list] RE: Can you help identify this meteorite?

From: Omar Facelli <gaucho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:36 2004

Dear List,

        Thank you all for your insight on my question sent a few days ago.
All responses from members so far have disqualified this item from being a
meteorite at all.
I sincerely apologize for this fact, and again deeply appreciate your
expertise and comments, specially to members Ken (magellon), David Weir _at_
meteoritestudies.com, Dave Freeman, Bill Mason, BOORX4_at_aol.com, Joseph
Murakami, who very kindly gave me their personal opinions on this rock.

You sure are a bunch of great guys!!! :o)

Wishing you all my best wishes for these Holidays.

With my best personal regards from a rainy yet warm Montevideo,

Omar Facelli

--
Dear List Members,
	I'm an antique and collectible dealer from Uruguay (South America). I work
on eBay since November 1996, my eBay id is "omar" and have almost 1,500
positive feedback comments with no negatives.
The main reason for this message is that a friend of mine has given me a
meteorite to sell on eBay, but neither of us have a clue of how to
describe, which kind or anything about it.
I've uploaded 5 photos of it into this directory for your viewing:
http://www.gaucho.50megs.com/omar/meteorito/
He's told me that he got it from the captain of a ship, almost 20 years
ago, when he worked on board (he's in his 70's now). It seems the meteorite
was "salvaged" from the bottom of the sea, nearby Montevideo bay, while
fishing with the nets, a large "rock" got stuck into the net and got on
board together with fish.
He's told me that the rock was quite more big, but the captain divided it
in several parts, keeping the larger stone and giving smaller ones to some
members of the crew. My friend Roberto got this chunk (quite large I
believe) and has been keeping it during all these years.
It measures about 8 inches large, 2" 1/2 high and weights about 2,400 g
(approx. 5 1/2 lb). It shows several tones of grey, as you can see in the
pictures, and all those holes (made by the sea erosion or natural to the
meteorite when entering the atmosphere incandescent and cooling rapidly
afterwards?). BTW, excuse my ignorance on this.
I've been reading the list the past few days and I've enjoyed reading that
there are a bunch of people actually "in love" with these rocks from outer
space and willing to help. I know I'm just a dealer, but I love my work and
also enjoy very much to learn about all I sell. Any help on this matter
will be enormously appreciated.
Sincerely,
Omar Facelli
"Tiempos Viejos Collectibles & Antiques"
P.O. Box 6045,
Montevideo, 11000
URUGUAY
Ph: (598 2) 304 5514