[meteorite-list] Simple Tektite Test

From: N Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:36 2004

Bob and list,

Thanks for the references to earlier discussions. I'll try to catch up on
the good stuff I've missed. I would, however, challenge the transmitted
light coloration standard. If all the world's recognized tektites were
australasians, Ivory Coasts, and bediasites, and someone brought in a
moldavite, what would the standard dictate? And the golden caramel of a
Georgiaite? How about Libyan Desert Glass? We suppose LDG is an impactite
rather than a tektite, but by what standard of reference? Lack of brown
color? We're looking for a standard to measure something NEW.

Currently the Amerikanite/Colombianite/"Arizonaite" issue keeps resurfacing.
I would instantly grant that most of this material is terrestrial obsidian.
BUT I do also endeavor to examine my own cherished "truths" fairly and
cynically. There was this one time that I was wrong. There are two issues
that haunt the corners of my mind: skin ornamentation and transmitted light
color.

I am an exploration geologist and I have spent 30 years in the field in
every continent except Africa and Antarctica. I have never seen (volcanic)
obsidian with the peculiar violet/lavender hues of Amerikanites. On our
website Amerikanite/Colombianite page (TektiteSource.com) , I have pictured
Colombianite skin textures with lizard-skin beading and U-shaped grooving
that I have yet to observe in volcanic settings but have seen in bona fide
tektites.

Do understand that I am entirely neutral as to whether Colombianites (or any
other suspect glass) is or is not a true tektite. But I do want to give new
discoveries a fair hearing. Hence the quest for differentiating standards.

Like you metioriteophiles, us tektite people get bombarded with Wannabes
that we're supposed to certify or kill. But beyond that, I want a general
basis for assuming a posture on Colombianites and their kin. I would love
to be able to say that they ABSOLUTELY are or are not tektites (and I don't
care which way it goes so long as it's objective and unbiased).

Please forgive me if I am repeating previously debated questions. Insofar
as I work ten days out in the field and a day or two back during the field
season, I have to interrupt meteorite-list mail until the winter grants me
time at home. I'm probably not the only guy out here that benefits from
repetition, so bear with us!

Cheers,

Norm