[meteorite-list] Re: Meteor-doubtful (once more)

From: magellon <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:35 2004

Hi,
One last kick!
I also do not condone emailing eBay sellers with threats.
It generally accomplishes nothing. (meteorite police?- what's that about? )
In this case, the seller was mad because no one else might bid and he was
going to be forced to buy it, himself. (pay fees)
That was when he posted his little tirade. (Dec-19-02 at 07:49:38 PST).
He should have been very happy to have greatly exceeded his $100.00 reserve
to $247.50, Right?
But he was very upset, "i really think that this will be the last thing i
sell on here (the first to)."
He probably blames the 'meteorite experts' for the fact that no one bid even
though he got a ton of emails.

However, it is one thing to give someone benefit of the doubt.
It is another to let them repeatedly lie to you and others, hoping it might
be true.
Meteorites do not blow up and burn down barns.
Neither are they hot for three weeks.
But you might say, "He's just repeating the story."
Even if you know nothing about meteorites, when the seller says," if you
collect this stuff, and just have to have it,
and cant wait till the auctions over, ill be happy to review cash offers sent
via e mail."
This is a wake up call saying that the seller is willing to cheat eBay out of
it's money, how far will he go to cheat you?
Watch the man behind the curtain......
The auction ended today (actually yesterday, as it is past midnight as I
write)....
Not only does the bidder who also lives in Sacramento instantly have the
'meteorite'
but conveniently leaves the seller this feedback:
"picked up.SUPER NICE PIECE.authentic for sure!..hope to do business again!"
Well, you may say, "he could have picked it up and he could have left
feedback the SAME day since they live in the same town!"
Yes, But look at the time the auction ended (Dec-19-02 15:38:33 PST) and the
time he posted feedback
(Dec-19-02 15:43:17 PST). So he had less than 5 minutes to get the goods,
exchange money, return home, verify that it is a meteorite and post his
feedback. But, you say, "the only way he could do that is if he lived in the
SAME HOUSE!": Yes, you have figured it out!
It is not what he says, as much as what he does!
This guy was not only dishonest from the very start, but also not very
bright!
His story and his 'meteorite' are as true or are as deceptive as his actions.

Now eBay will get its' fee and the seller/bidder got what he deserved!.
Well done!
(Perhaps it would be nice if someone sent him a congratulatory message for
selling his 'meteorite')
But then again it may be nicer to leave well enough alone!
Best to all,
Ken Newton
 http://home.earthlink.net/~magellon/updates.html