[meteorite-list] metal detector help?

From: SSachs9056_at_aol.com <SSachs9056_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:35 2004

Hi Tom and list,
One metal detector you may wish to try, that hasn't been mentioned is called
a "two box unit.". before I became interested in meteorites I had metal
detected from 1971 to about 1988. During that time I used a two box unit as
well as the more familiar detectors you see on the market now. (cut my teeth
on a Jetco, and White's Coinmaster 4 in 1971---way before the "discrimination
mode" was even invented--tin foil and pull tabs were the bane of all
detectors users then ;-)

Simply put: a "two box unit" has a transmitter and separate receiver, that,
when put together for traveling is about the size of a large briefcase. There
are 2-3 metal rods which attach to the units. You then carry the metal
detector at waist level. They can detect soup can size object a good one to
three feet through the ground, and 55 gallon size objects down about 10-12
feet. Snow wouldn't be an issue at all. Be forewarned though, you will pass
over small objects the size of half dollar, which won't even register. This
detector is for larger objects.

I don't know if they even make these anymore or how soon you need one. Two
places come to mind. 1) EBAY, and 2) Kellyco. Kellyco is located in Florida
and has a mammoth catalog with hundreds of metal detectors to choose from.
They also carry used units as well. You may want to contact them right away.
The also give huge discounts. Kellyco also carry two man detectors which have
search coils that cover a lot of ground quickly. (i.e. search coils measuring
5-10 square feet) Cheap, they're not. (Thousands!) Give them a call, or write
for a catalog. They carry all the popular brands, White's , Garrett, Fisher,
Bounty Hunter, etc; as well as many other brands. Also ask them about the two
box units. Some of the old-timers will remember them and might be able to put
you in touch with someone who has one.

Best of Luck Tom!

Steven L. Sachs / IMCA #9210