[meteorite-list] Sixth Workshop on Catastophic Disruption in the Solar System

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:35 2004

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~durda/cd6/meeting.html

MEETING: Sixth Workshop on Catastophic Disruption in the Solar System
PLACE: Cannes, France
DATES: June 9-11, 2003.
DEDICATION: Dr. Paolo Farinella

SCIENTIFIC ORGANIZING COMMITTEE: Dan Durda (Chair), Erik Asphaug,Kevin
Housen, Patrick Michel, and Akiko Nakamura.

Patrick Michel will take care of local arrangements and gourmet feasting and
will be the conference administrator.

The workshop will take place in the heart of the legendary French Riviera in
Cannes with its unequalled bay, traditions, and surrounded by small typical
villages. The Croisette Beach Hotel in which the meeting will take place is
located only a short step from the beaches of La Croisette, and a few
minutes by walk from the old town with its typical architecture, restaurants
and local people.

A web site devoted to the workshop may be found at:
http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~durda/cd6/meeting.html. In addition to emailed
announcements, additional information (links, PDF forms, etc.) will be
placed on this site and we encourage participants to check this site for
updates.

The Hotel itself has 50 rooms blocked for us, all with the modern confort of
a four-star Hotel (maximum number of stars in France): soundproofed with
air-conditionning, colour cable TV and filter power outlet for computer
equipment (for further information, visit the Croisette Beach home page:
http://www.croisettebeach.com/).

To make their room reservation, participants are required to fill the form
at the end of this announcement and fax it DIRECTLY TO the Hotel (note: the
Hotel is closed until December 27th 2002, so the form should be faxed
preferentially after this date BUT BEFORE March 17th 2003); the dealines and
cancellation penalties are well indicated and participants can also contact
the Hotel by phone if any other details or requirements are still needed. An
application form including other needed information (title of potential talk
etc ..) is also situated at the end of this announcement and must be filled
and sent by email to michel_at_obs-nice.fr

The format of the meeting, in keeping with the workshop spirit, will allow
ample time for discussion. The Scientific Program includes invited reviews
on the main topics and each session will be orgnized starting by an invited
review and followed by talks on the same topics with as much time as
necessary for discussions. The main topics and Invited Reviewers (IR) are:

I Confrontation laboratory experiments - observations - models

I-A Impacts in Strength Regime

I-A-1 Impact Experiments (laboratory and in-the-field) IR: A. NAKAMURA
I-A-2 Models of Impact Experiments (numerical and analytical
explanations/examinations) IR: E. ASPHAUG
I-A-3 Scaling IRs: K. HOUSEN/K. HOLSAPPLE

I-B Beyond the Strength Regime

I-B-1 Constraints from observations

I-B-1-a Asteroid Families IR: A. CELLINO
I-B-1-b Asteroid Observations (rotation, satellites, ...) IR: A.W. HARRIS

I-B-2 Numerical models

I-B-2-a Numerical Models (hydrocodes) and simulation of small body
collisions IR: P. MICHEL
I-B-2-b BIG Collisions (Earth-Moon, Pluto/Charon, etc.) IR: R. CANUP

II Material Properties, Physical Structure

II-1 Porosity/Highly Compressible Materials IRs: K. HOLSAPPLE/K. HOUSEN
II-2 Meteoritical Evidence/Constraints for Impacts/Disruption IR:
CONSOLMAGNO
II-3 Geological Properties of Asteroids from Spacecraft Observations IR: to
be determined
II-4 Rubble Piles and Monoliths IR: D.C. RICHARDSON

III Collisonal Evolution Models

III-1 Collisional Evolution Models/Size Distributions IR: F. MARZARI
III-2 Catastrophic disruption threshold and internal structure IR: W. BENZ
III-3 Disruption/Splitting of Comets (tentative IR: P. WEISSMAN)

We anticipate the registration fees to be around 150 Euros at most, but the
final amount depends on how much additional support we can obtain. The
amount and payment will be asked later. The Workshop will start by a welcome
buffet on the beach on Sunday June 8th in the evening and it will include a
evening banquet on Tuesday June 10th in Mougins (one of the small villages
surrounding Cannes). Every Lunch during the workshop will also consist in
buffets (hot and cold) on the beach, including vegetarian plates. These
social events are free for the participants.

Finally, the Proceedings of this workshop will be published in the Journal
Icarus (to be confirmed).

We will let you know other details in the next annoucements. Given the
limited number of rooms, we encourage people willing to participate to
reserve their Hotel room as fast as possible by sending the form below by
fax to the Hotel, and we thank you in advance for sending back also as soon
as possible the application form placed after the room reservation form by
email to michel_at_obs-nice.fr.

Patrick Michel
michel_at_obs-nice.fr

Dan Durda
durda_at_boulder.swri.edu

Donald R. Davis
drd_at_psi.edu

ROOM RESERVATION: FORM TO SEND BY FAX TO THE HOTEL

SEMINAR CNRS 8th - 12 June 2003
CROISETTE BEACH HOTEL
CANNES - FRANCE

CREDIT CARD GUARANTEE

Fill it and return it with the booking form by fax at 00 33 4 93 68 35 38

Attention : Agnes HENNET - Sales Executive

This authorisation form is requested by the CROISETTE BEACH HOTEL to
validate your booking.

I herewith ( Holder of the card )
______________________________________________________ Authorise the
CROISETTE BEACH HOTEL to debit on March 18th 2003 on the following credit
card Type : Visa - MasterCard - American Express - Dinners ( Delete as
appropriate )

Number of the card:

Expiry Date of the card: ___________________________________________________

The amount of:

____ x 134 Euros / single room, per person, per day ( seminar price
including buffet breakfast and local city tax )

____ x 74 Euros / double room, per person, per day ( seminar price including
buffet breakfast and local city tax )

For the rent of one single - double - twin - bedded room ( Delete as
appropriate ) from June 8th until 12th 2003 ( 4 nights ) .

If you want to share a double room with another participant (and not an
accompanying person), please indicate his/her name :

The CROISETTE BEACH HOTEL holds these special prices for the PRE AND POST
SEMINAR NIGHTS. Please, indicate if you would like to take advantage of this
offer :

___ x 134 Euros /single room, per person, per day, buffet breakfast and city
tax included - Please precise the dates for booking: ________________

___ x 74 Euros /double room, per person, per day, buffet breakfast and city
tax included - Please precise the dates for booking: ________________

***********************

I agree with the following cancellation conditions :

The debit of my credit card will be made after March 17th 2003, dead line to
confirm my participation at this seminar.

>From March 17th until April 17th 2003 , if I cancel my booking, the
CROISETTE BEACH HOTEL is authorised to debit one night penalty. No penalty
on pre and post seminar nights.

>From April 18th until May 8th 2003 if I cancel my booking, the CROISETTE
BEACH HOTEL is authorised to debit 2 nights penalty. No penalty on pre and
post seminar nights.

>From May 9th until May 24th 2003 if I cancel my booking, the CROISETTE
BEACH HOTEL is authorised to debit 3 nights penalty. No penalty on pre and
post seminar nights.

>After May 25th 2003, if I cancel my booking or in case of no-show , the
CROISETTE BEACH HOTEL is authorised to debit the 4 nights penalty and 50% of
the amount for the pre and post seminar nights.

In case of cancellation for medical reasons or family decease, repayment of
the total deposit, only with medical certificate or death certificate
presentation.

Date:___________________________________

Signature ________________________________

DEAD LINE: MARCH 17th 2003

Any question? Contact Patrick MICHEL at: michel_at_obs-nice.fr
tel:+ 00 33 4 92 00 30 55

APPLICATION FORM TO SEND TO michel_at_obs-nice.fr

REGISTRATION FORM
CDVI WORKSHOP, June 9-11 2003, France

1- Last Name:

2- First Name:

3- Address:

4- Email:

5- Did you make your room reservation to the Hotel? If yes, please indicate
your date of arrival/departure?

6- Do you come with an accompanying person?

7- Do you wish to participate to the Banquet? (free for participants, around
50 Euros for accompanying persons; please indicate the number of
participants and accompanying persons)

8- If you wish to make a presentation, what is the title/topic?

Thank you very much and see you soon!

send this form to michel_at_obs-nice.fr