[meteorite-list] Fwd: Some Geminid Reports (from meteorobs-digest V4 #1052)

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:35 2004

While it is still quiet, thought I would supply some
recent meteor shower reports:

------------------
> [...]

> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 07:42:30 -0800
> From: Ed Majden <epmajden_at_shaw.ca>
> Subject: (meteorobs) Geminids on Vancouver Island
>
> The Geminids at Courtenay on Vancouver Island,
> B.C. where not only
> clouded out but rained out with strong winds. The
> bird perch device on top
> of the Sandia convex all-sky camera got detached
> again so when the rains
> stop it will mean another trip up on the roof for
> repairs. I still haven't
> had a chance to test the new Sandia fisheye all-sky
> running the auto record
> and detect software Sentinel. This weather is
> getting very frustrating!
>
> Ed Majden - Sandia Bolide Detection Station -
> Courtenay B.C. CANADA
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:00:56 EST
> From: KCStarguy_at_aol.com
> Subject: (meteorobs) Geminids
>
> Olathe, KS
>
> I got home slept for few hours and then got up to
> watch the Geminids from
> 3:00-4:30. Completely clear . I put a blanket in the
> sleeping bag and things
> were cozier. I should have thought of that for the
> Leonids when I was freezing most of the time.
>
> It was a very nice show as I saw 23 meteors. Most
> were Geminids and very
> bright (0 to -2 magnitude) white, yellow or blue and
> very slow .5 to .75 a second, with few train/trails.

> No sky splitters (super bright ones).
> Saw 21 of them from 3am- 4am and then it decreased
> rapidly as I only saw 3 until I quit. I did not
> think the Geminids peaked that sharply.
> I was disappointed more did not appear after 4.
>
> It was worth a look.
>
> Dr.Eric Flescher (kcstarguy_at_aol.com)
> member, Astronomical Society of Kansas City (ASKC)-
> Solar System Ambassador 2002 JPL(Jet Propulsion Lab)

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 11:30:25 -0600
> From: "C. F. Jones" <cafjones_at_ameritech.net>
> Subject: (meteorobs) Geminids
>
> The sky remained cloudy overnight in Southeastern
> Wisconsin, USA.
> Not able to see any activity because of conditions.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 16:16:38 -0800
> From: "Thom Morgan" <bassman_at_intrex.net>
> Subject: (meteorobs) North Carolina Clouded out as
> well
>
> Conditions where unfavorable here in North Carolina
> as well, the sky did clear up just in time for
> sunrise. Might try some post peak viewing Dec 14/15.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 16:42:32 EST
> From: RobDonRe_at_aol.com
> Subject: (meteorobs) METEOR OBSERVATIONS CONTINUED

> Begin: 22:20 PST (06:20 UT)
> End: 02:30 PST (10:30 UT)
> Location: Lat. 39.11N Long. 119.45W Elev. 1433M
> (4700ft)
> Site: Carson City, Nevada USA
>
> Observed showers: GEM ORI TAU SPO
> LM: 5.5 (Average for the session)
> Bortle scale: 4 to 5 (Varied through the session)

-5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
Tot
> GEM
>0 1 0 2 1 0 3 2 4 1 0 0
14
3
4
8

> Totals:
>0 1 1 3 2 1 5 4 5 3 0 1
26

> [...]

> Subject: (meteorobs) Geminids
>
> I went out to western Iowa last night (13/14 Dec
> local time) to watch the Geminids.
> It was not too cold (37-26 degrees F) and it was an
> unusually dry night for Iowa and the Moon did not
> interfere before it
> set as badly as it usually does here. (Moonset ~230
> am CST) Clear all
> night. My best one hour Geminid count was 79 during
> the hour 300-400 am
> CST (900-1000 UT). Only six fireballs (mag. -4+):
> one of mag. -5 with a
> train lasting 2 seconds and five of mag. -4. The
> majority of the
> Geminids were white with quite a few yellow or
> orange and several of the
> brightest light blue-green. My best 10 minute
> Geminid count (17) was
> 220-230 am CST (820-830 UT) when I changed
> directions (the Moon had set)
> and etc and had my head down for a total of about 2
> minutes! As usual
> the Geminids were very clumpy. It was a very nice
> Geminid experience!
>
> Limiting magnitude at beginning ~5.5; by Moonset
> 6.5; after 600 am CST
> gradually worsening to 6.0 because of morning
> twilight affecting the
> western sky.
> GEM MON SHYD COM SPOR
>
> 650-700 UT 11 - - - -
> 700-710 10 - - - -
> 710-720 8 - - - -
> 720-730 9 - - - -
> 730-740 10 - - - -
> 740-750 8 - 1 - 1
> 750-800 9 - - - -
> 800-810 5 1 - - -
> 810-820 8 - - - -
> 820-830 17 - - - 1
> (tef only 8 min)
> 830-840 8 - - - -
> 840-850 6 - - - -
> 850-900 4 - - - -
> 900-910 14 - - - 1
> 910-920 15 - - - -
> 920-930 14 - - - -
> 930-940 8 - - - -
> 940-950 14 - - - -
> 950-1000 14 - - - -
> 1000-1010 11 - 1 - 1
> 1010-1020 6 - - 1 1
> 1020-1030 9 - - 2 1
> 1030-1040 7 - - - 1
> 1040-1050 10 - - 1 -
> 1050-1100 4 - 1 - -
> 1100-1110 7 - - - 1
> 1110-1120 9 - 1 - -
> 1120-1130 8 - - - -
> 1130-1140 9 - - - -
> 1140-1150 8 - - - 1
> 1150-1200 8 - - - -
> 1200-1210 11 - - - -
> 1210-1220 8 - - - 1
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 20:34:40 -0500 (EST)
> From: Michael Linnolt <mlinnolt_at_alum.mit.edu>
> Subject: (meteorobs) GEM Obs from Hawaii - Good
> show!
>
> After last months LEO debacle, I really needed a
> reliable shower to calm my frazzled nerves! So,
> the Geminids stepped up to bat, and hit a home run!
> Rather than risk flying to another island, I drove
up
> to our north shore dark sky site. The weather
forecasts looked good - strong inversion, light winds,
dry atmosphere, no cirrus. It all added up to a mostly
crystal clear night of meteor observing. Of course I
spent a lot of time looking thru my scope at all kinds
of DSO, variable stars and the 2 comets RX14 and V1,
as well! Several times a GEM came zipping across my
> eyepiece field. One was bright enough to leave a
nice persistent train which I followed a few seconds
in the scope.

> Overall the GEM rates were as good as can be
> expected, I counted 52 in a half hour after moonset,
and 27 while the moon was high, but that was at 10UT,
the peak exactly. Only 3 fireballs, but one was -10
that I saw while I just looked up from my scope to
find a DSO! I stared right at it and the brightness
was almost painful.