[meteorite-list] The biography of NWA869?

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:33 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C2A03D.CF5E2CE0

Hello John and List, =20
Re: NWA869 John asked "could you help flesh out this story?"
NWA869 is one of the most common meteorites from Africa. Luckly for us, i=
t is also one of the nicest. Me and Dean Bessey have recovered a good sha=
re of it and sold it under this name. Other dealers have submitted sample=
s under different numbers. Farmer and the Hupes use NWA787. Matteo origin=
ally got the number NWA900 for the stone, as seen in Richard Norton's boo=
k "The Cambridge Encyclopia of Meteorites, page 144. Matteo has since got=
ten several other numbers for the stone was well. Rubin classified NWA869=
 as an L4, but then reclassified it as an L5. It should appear in the Met=
eoritical Bulliten as an L5. Farmer-Hupes got NWA787 classified as an L6.=
 Matteo got an L3.9-6 classification. Two times with a brecciated classif=
ication, and two times without. =20
When I was in Tucson, several of the moroccan dealers had large amounts o=
f this stone as well. I tried telling a few of them the classification an=
d wrote it down for them but then I would see someone looking at one ten =
minutes after I talked with the Moroccan sellers and they would "forget" =
my conversation. None of the moroccan dealers seemed to care about the cl=
assification. =20
So what is the Classification? Rubin says its an L5, I am willing to go w=
ith that. Is it brecciated? I think it is. But hey, if Gold Basin isn't b=
recciated, then I guess I am willing to say NWA869 is not either. Breccia=
tion has more to do with how it looks in a thin section rather then the e=
ye, so this can be confusing at times. =20
Some have reported Carbonaceous enclosures in NWA869. What I believe they=
 are seeing is shock evidence in the stone. The more shocked parts of the=
 stone is usually darker and this is where I have seen dark inclusions, t=
hat I think others have labeled Carbonaceous in error. =20
There is a lighter golden version of NWA869 as well. While I have not see=
n this part in a thin section, I believe this to be a more weathered part=
. Or it appears such is more accurate. Now, I have also seen the golden v=
ersion, in the middle of the stone before and not on the edges, but it do=
es look a lot like typical weathering I have seen in the African stones. =
I think I if I remember right, NWA869 got a weathering of 2 (?). =20
Me and Dean have sold at least 600 kilos, mostly Dean. With what I have s=
een at other dealers, the moroccan sellers in Tuscon and what I have been=
 offered from Morocco. I would say there has to be more then 1000 kilos o=
f this stone out there. Maybe 1500 kilos or more. Now, arent we glad it d=
oesnt look like Dhofar 020....:-) =20
If I can find the time soon, I will post pichures of thin sections from N=
WA869. =20
Mark Bostick
PS: I few 12+ pound NWA869 and would be willing to trade one if anyone is=
 interested?