[meteorite-list] violation of list rules

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:33 2004

--part1_fb.31e20094.2b2406ae_boundary

Frank writes:

<< I was just wondering, how someone could offer such a piece of history.
Offering pieces of the Berlin Wall is something different......selling
pieces, resulted in an atomic attack, seems to me like offering pieces of the
Nazi concentration camps or gas chambers. >>

<< Please correct me. >

OK. ;-) While I think I understand the sentiment, I also think it has
more to do with motive than the item itself. I own a piece of "script", the
form of "money" that was used by the prisoners at Buchenwald, along with a
letter signed by Hitler. If I were a latter-day Nazi disciple who collected
these things out of some sort of demented admiration, you'd have a point.
But someone can also collect and treasure these things as tangible
representations of heroic struggle against incomprehensible evil, and surely
there's nothing wrong with that. Obviously, the struggle continues today,
and the old motto which one finds in WWII museums across Europe takes on an
added and eerie significance: "Never again".

       Gregory

--part1_fb.31e20094.2b2406ae_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2><BR>
Frank writes: <BR>
<BR>
&lt;&lt; I was just wondering, how someone could offer such a piece of history. Offering pieces of the Berlin Wall is something different......selling pieces, resulted in an atomic attack, seems to me like offering pieces of the Nazi concentration camps or gas chambers.&nbsp; &gt;&gt;<BR>
<BR>
&lt;&lt; Please correct me. &gt;<BR>
<BR>
OK.&nbsp; ;-)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; While I think I understand the sentiment, I also think it has more to do with motive than the item itself.&nbsp; I own a piece of "script", the form of "money" that was used by the prisoners at Buchenwald, along with a letter signed by Hitler.&nbsp; If I were a latter-day Nazi disciple who collected these things out of some sort of demented admiration, you'd have a point.&nbsp; But someone can also collect and treasure these things as tangible representations of heroic struggle against incomprehensible evil, and surely there's nothing wrong with <I>that</I>.&nbsp; Obviously, the struggle continues today, and the old motto which one finds in WWII museums across Europe takes on an added and eerie significance:&nbsp; "Never again". <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Gregory</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_fb.31e20094.2b2406ae_boundary--