[meteorite-list] Fireball Blazes Across Colorado Sky

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:32 2004

http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin/article_generation.asp?article_type=news&article_path=/news/news021129_8.htm

Fireball baffles residents
Durango Herald (Colorado)
November 29, 2002

A mysterious light, which may have been a meteorite, blazed across the sky
in Durango on Thursday night.

John Montle, 70, who lives north of Durango near Durango Mountain Resort, said
he was driving home from Durango, when a flaming fireball shot vertically from
the sky between 6:15 p.m. and 6:20 p.m. The light was also witnessed at The
Durango Herald.

"It looked like it was going to hit Dalton Ranch," Montle said. "At first I
thought it was a plane burning up and coming down."

Montle was on U.S. Highway 550 near the Val-Air Gliderport, a few miles north of
Durango. An amateur astronomer, Montle said he believed the light was a meteorite
because the flame moved extremely fast, turned green and appeared to break apart
in the sky.

But he added, "I've seen a lot of meteorites, but I have not seen anything like
this."

The National Weather Service in Grand Junction had received two calls asking
about a bright light in the sky, one from Garfield County, Colo., and the other
from Utah, said Jim Daniels, a meteorologist. But the National Weather Service
does not track or carry information on such accounts.